Man killed after lengthy hostage situation escalates

03/20/2013 7:31 PM

06/26/2013 2:31 PM

Details emerged Thursday on what happened during an 11-hour standoff that ended with the predawn morning shooting of an elderly Modesto man by police.

Officers shot and killed the 87-year-old man after he assaulted his wife, held her hostage overnight and then pointed a gun at officers, authorities said.

A neighbor said Thursday that police tried for hours to get the suspect to give up.

Relatives Wednesday night identified the couple as Howard Tungseth and his wife, Marjorie, also 87. Reached Thursday, relatives said they did not want to comment.

The standoff began at about 6 p.m. Wednesday, when officers responded to a domestic violence call in the 1600 block of Evona Court, near Carver Road and Mt. Vernon Avenue. The caller indicated a man had assaulted his wife, police said.

When officers arrived, they learned the suspect had a handgun and would not let his wife leave the home. Police tried to talk to him, but he refused to leave the house and started threatening officers, who could see him walking into different rooms in the house, holding a handgun.

Hostage negotiators arrived and tried to communicate with Tungseth, to no avail.

A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said she heard police repeatedly plead with Tungseth to come out of the house.

“You’re in charge, Howard,” they told him through a bullhorn, the neighbor said. “They really tried to talk to him for a long time.” Eventually, police sent a robot into the home, the neighbor said.

“As the night progressed, the suspect continued to not comply with us and continued to act irate,” Lt. Rick Armendariz said Thursday. Tungseth also threatened to burn down the house, Armendariz said.

His wife, meanwhile, pleaded for help from officers. Investigators learned she had several health problems, and had been “physically immobilized,” Armendariz said in a news release.

Officials decided to rescue the woman, and a SWAT team entered the home about 4:20 a.m. As they were getting the woman, the man confronted them, aiming a handgun at officers, Armendariz said.

At least one officer shot at the man, who was declared dead at the scene. An ambulance took the woman to an area hospital for treatment.

It’s not yet clear if the suspect fired his gun, Armendariz said. But no officers were hurt.

The neighbor said she heard a series of shots she presumed came from Tungseth, followed by a shot from police. Officers carried Marjorie Tungseth out of the house, but not her husband.

“I thought, oh, no, ‘What happened?’ ” the neighbor said.

Armendariz said the two officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave during the investigation, standard procedure in such cases.

Police and crime scene technicians remained at the scene for much of Thursday.

Three agencies will conduct parallel investigations into the incident, also standard procedure, Armendariz said. Modesto police will be handle the criminal investigation, the Stanislaus County district attorney’s office will be conducting an independent criminal review, and the Modesto Police Department’s Internal Affairs Unit will be conducting an administrative investigation into the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service