Crime

November 27, 2012

Attorneys close to plea deal with Ceres mom accused in son's drowning

Attorneys in the case of Ceres mother accused of murder in her 2-year-old son’s drowning two years ago said today they are closing in a plea deal. If the sides are unable to come to an agreement, there will be a jury trial starting sometime in mid-January.

Attorneys in the case of Ceres mother accused of murder in her 2-year-old son’s drowning two years ago said today they are closing in a plea deal.

Florcita Valdez, 36, remains in custody in lieu of $500,000 bail. Valdez’s son, Aureliano Joel Valdez, was found dead in the family’s pool on Larson Lane in Ceres minutes after his mother reported the boy missing July 18, 2010.

Attorneys have been discussing a plea deal in the case, with Deputy District Attorney Marlisa Ferreira telling Judge Linda McFadden this morning they are “this close” as she held up a thumb and forefinger about an inch apart.

McFadden scheduled another hearing in the case Dec. 12. Valdez had been scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Dec. 18, the precursor to a jury trial. McFadden vacated that date because Valdez’s attorney will be in trial and won’t be available.

If the sides are unable to come to an agreement, McFadden said, Valdez likely will have a jury trial starting sometime in mid-January.

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos