A 42-year-old Modesto man already convicted in federal court for posting child pornography videos on the Internet has now been sentenced in Stanislaus Superior Court for sexually abusing three boys.
Timothy Joseph Valdez last week was ordered to spend 30 years in prison for the boys' abuse, the Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office announced in a news release this week. The victims were identified in court as "John Doe 1, 2, and 3."
Valdez on Feb. 8 pleaded no contest to committing lewd or lascivious acts with a child younger than 14 years old and two counts of continuous sexual abuse of a child. Seven other charges of child sex abuse were dropped.
At the March 1 sentencing hearing, John Doe 3's mother told the judge that Valdez tormented and victimized the children in his life, instead of being a caring friend and father.
"Today, I feel justice was served,” the mother said in court, according to prosecutors.
John Doe 1’s mother told the judge that Valdez “is not a human being, as a human being could not harm a child in a manner as he has.”
The prosecutors said Valdez also spoke to the judge and his victims during his sentencing hearing.
“I cannot begin to express the deep guilt, sorrow and extreme self-loathing I must live with all day, every day, as I should," Valdez said in court, according to prosecutors. "Never do I wonder why I’m in prison. Never do I think I deserve any better. Never do I forget each and every person I have hurt and disappointed. And never do I fool myself into believing that I deserve to be forgiven someday.”
Authorities first learned of Valdez when officials in Denmark found a video — made in three segments — online during an investigation. The video contained graphic and explicit evidence of sexual abuse of young boys.
Household products seen in the background of the video suggested it was produced in the U.S. In December 2011, Danish officials alerted U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigation authorities.
"America's Most Wanted" posted Valdez's photo on its Web site. And WJLA, an ABC affiliate in Washington, D.C., aired a segment on the case asking for the public's help in identifying the man.
Authorities got their big break in March 2012, when someone left information on Homeland Security's tip line directing agents to Valdez's MySpace pages. Agents obtained a federal warrant to search Valdez's home, near Downey High School in central Modesto.
Modesto police detectives were informed of the federal search warrant while they were investigating allegations from John Doe 1, who on Nov. 2, 2011, told investigators Valdez orally copulated him on one occasion when he was 10 years old.
The two other boys then came forward to tell police that Valdez also had abused them. Prosecutors said the federal agents searching Valdez's home found videos corroborating the three boys' accounts of sexual abuse.
Valdez was first taken into federal custody. On April 29, 2013, Valdez pleaded guilty to one count of sexual exploitation of a child, according to documents filed in federal court. Three other child pornography charges were dropped. On July 22, 2013, Valdez was sentenced to serve 30 years in federal prison.
In September, Valdez was transferred to the Stanislaus County Jail, so he could face the local sexual abuse charges.
Local prosecutors said Valdez will essentially spend the rest of his life behind bars. Valdez will first serve the remainder of his federal prison sentence, then he will be transferred to a California prison to serve an additional 30 years of incarceration.
On Wednesday afternoon, Valdez remained in custody in the county jail as he awaited to be transferred to a federal prison.