Cooking oil on stovetop sparks Turlock fire

07/29/2014 8:47 AM

07/29/2014 8:48 AM

A fire that started with oil cooking on a stovetop left three people displaced from a Turlock apartment, authorities said.

According to the Turlock Fire Department, firefighters were called to a home in the 1100 block of North Olive Avenue at 10:29 a.m. Monday.

A resident, heating oil in a pan on the stove, had turned the heat up too high, officials said in a news release.

The oil caught fire, with the blaze spreading to the adjacent ceiling and wall. No injuries were reported; damages were estimated at $5,500.

“Kitchen fires remain a major cause of home fires in Turlock and throughout the nation,” the news release said. “TFD encourages everyone to be safe while cooking.”

Modesto Events

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service