Roof burns on Turlock home
07/05/2014 6:32 PM
07/05/2014 6:33 PM
Faulty wiring to a bathroom vent fan is being blamed for a roof fire that badly damaged a home in the 2700 block of North Walnut Avenue in Turlock on Friday afternoon. A passer-by called in the fire at 4:19 p.m. then jumped the fence into the gated community, forced the front door open and checked that everyone was out, according to the Turlock Fire Department. Firefighters stopped the flames from spreading, but the home suffered an estimated $55,000 in damage.
Two residents were displaced and said they would stay with family or friends. Fire investigators noted the smoke detectors in the home were not operating, adding that detectors should be replaced every 10 years and batteries checked or replaced every six months.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.