Unattended grill sparks house fire in west Modesto

06/23/2014 6:45 AM

06/23/2014 6:55 AM

An unattended barbecue grill is believed to have caused a weekend fire at a west Modesto home.

According to Modesto Regional Fire Authority Interim Chief Sean Slamon, firefighters were called to a home in the 1500 block of Rouse Avenue at 5:27 p.m. Sunday.

Firefighters arrived within four minutes to find heavy fire conditions from the back of the single-story home. The fire consumed an outubuilding before spreading to the house.

The occupants of the home were able to get out without being hurt.

Crews extinguished the blaze within 30 minutes. One firefighters suffered from heat exhaustion, Slamon said in a news release. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment before returning to work.

Damages were estimated at $20,000.

Modesto Events

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service