Fire destroys vacant home in west Modesto
05/19/2014 7:46 PM
05/19/2014 7:47 PM
A two-alarm fire destroyed a vacant home in west Modesto on Sunday night and damaged another.
Modesto Regional Fire Authority units responded to a report of a structure and vegetation fire in the 200 block of Spencer Avenue at about 7:19 p.m., said Battalion Chief Hugo Patino.
Firefighters were on scene within four minutes and found one vacant home fully engulfed in flames. A second vacant home that had caught fire threatened an occupied residence to the north.
A second alarm was requested, bringing a total of 24 firefighters to the scene, who stopped the fire from spreading to the occupied home, Patino said.
Modesto Regional units had responded to a single-alarm grass fire on Spencer earlier in the day.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.