The Modesto Bee’s Scoopy and 10 other mascots will take to the streets of Modesto on Saturday to compete for bragging rights and to help those less fortunate in the community.
Challengers will face off by ringing the bell for the Salvation Army from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at local businesses in the first Mascot Kettle Challenge.
The challenge will help launch the Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign for this Christmas season.
Donations put into the kettles help fund local programs of the Salvation Army.
Kettles will be counted, and the Mascot Kettle Challenge grand champion will be announced Monday.
Here’s the list of locations and mascots:• JC Penney main door, Vintage Faire Mall: The Modesto Bee, Scoopy
• Sears main door, Vintage Faire Mall: Stockton Thunder, Thunder
• Keller’s in McHenry Village, 1700 McHenry Ave: Bank of the West Bear
• Big Lots, 1717 Oakdale Road: MOCSE Credit Union, Sammy the Savings Bear
• Wal-Mart, 3848 McHenry Ave.: Christmas Cinder Clause
• Macy’s main door, Vintage Faire Mall: Funworks, Freddy Foreman
• Walmart, 1670 Mitchell Road: Modesto Police Department, McGruff the Crime Dog
• Hobby Lobby, 2801 McHenry Ave: Modesto Police Department, National Night Out Knight
• Walmart, 2225 Plaza Parkway: Modesto Nuts, Wally the Walnut
• JC Penney side door, Vintage Faire Mall: Modesto Nuts, Al the Almond
• Walmart, 1421 Coffee Road: The Salvation Army Modesto Citadel, Care Bear