Two employees at a Modesto-area produce processing facility and farm were hospitalized and a hazmat team was called Tuesday after exposure to a dangerous mix of chemicals.
While cleaning at Ratto Brothers on Beckwith Road about 9:30 a.m., the workers mixed ammonia and bleach, which causes toxic fumes.
Modesto Regional Fire Authority Battalion Chief Hugo Patino said both employees suffered breathing difficulties and were taken to the hospital.
The hazmat team was called because the chemical mixture was foaming, and the tub it was in had pressurized, Patino said. Firefighters entered the facility in rubber suits and masks and determined that the mixture was reacting that way because of citric acid residue in the container.
Never miss a local story.
Patino said beyond the fumes it caused, the mixture was safe enough for disposal by the business.