Neighbor with a fire extinguisher saves the day in Turlock
05/20/2013 9:42 AM
05/20/2013 11:13 PM
Authorities are crediting a quick-acting neighbor in Turlock with putting out a kitchen fire before it could do major damage.
According to the Turlock Fire Department, firefighters were sent to a home in the 4600 block of McKenna Drive at 12:26 p.m. Friday. A toaster left on and unattended caught fire, which spread to the nearby cabinets.
Working smoke detectors alerted the occupant, who was outside at the time. A neighbor came to the home with a fire extinguisher and put out the blaze. The neighbor suffered a small burn to a finger.
Damage to the home was estimated at $10,000.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.