Firefighters respond to chimney fire at Turlock house
02/14/2013 10:14 AM
02/14/2013 11:15 PM
A chimney fire caused extensive damage to a Turlock home early Thursday.
Four fire engines and one battalion chief were called to the scene at 737 Birchwood Way about 12:50 a.m., according to a news release.
Heavy smoke was pouring from the chimney and the residents were out of the home when firefighters arrived on the scene.
It took 10 minutes for firefighters to get the blaze under control, and there was extensive salvage and overhaul work done around the fireplace for about two hours, the news release said.
There was heavy damage to the chimney and fireplace.
Barking dogs woke the occupants of the house, who found burning embers falling into the living room from the fireplace.
The cause was determined to be accidental. No one was displaced or injured.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.