Neighbor helps Turlock woman escape apartment fire
01/22/2013 1:48 PM
01/22/2013 11:47 PM
A moderate apartment fire could have been much worse if a neighbor had not woken the sleeping resident inside.
The fire started about 10:20 a.m. at an apartment complex at 3420 Rochester Court, according to the Turlock Fire Department.
A woman in a second-story apartment was asleep when burning logs from her fireplace rolled out onto the floor and burned into the crawl space between the first and second floors.
Her smoke detector was not functioning, but smoke seeped into the downstairs apartment, alerting her neighbor. The woman downstairs called 911 and woke her neighbor. They got out safely.
Turlock firefighters had the fire under control in about 30 minutes. They spent two hours checking for fire in the attic, chimney and other areas of the crawl space.
The fire caused about $7,500 in damage, but both residents were able to stay in their apartments.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.