A fire destroyed an Oakdale home and displaced a family Friday, officials reported.
The fire broke out about 1 p.m. at an older two-story house at 220 S. Third Ave., near a city fire station. But the fire spread rapidly because of the type of construction and how the fire was ventilated, Oakdale Fire Department Capt. Dan Cummins said Saturday.
He said the front door was open and windows were broken — either by the fire or by people trying to attack the fire with garden hoses — allowing the fire to move rapidly throughout the home.
Cummins said there were no injuries. A couple and their grandchild live at the home. Cummins said they were taken in by family members.
Never miss a local story.
Cummins did not have an estimate for the cost of damage to the home and the loss of its contents. H
e said the fire appears to be accidental and may have been caused by an electrical short.
Nearly two dozen firefighters from Oakdale, Stanislaus Consolidated and Escalon battled the blaze.