A 64-year-old Turlock man escaped a fire in his kitchen without injury Friday despite his fire alarm not activating.
The Turlock Fire Department received a call of a house fire in the 300 block of South Laurel Street. Moderate smoke was visible upon arrival, and a neighbor indicated that the resident still was inside. A search of the house determined that the man had made it out.
Fire crews controlled the blaze within five minutes, although it spread to the attic.
Officials say the fire was accidental, likely caused by paper goods coming in contact with the range pilot light. The damage is estimated at $35,000.