Fire damages storage units in Waterford
11/15/2012 7:03 AM
11/15/2012 7:05 AM
A knocked-over candle apparently started a fire at a storage facility in Waterford Wednesday night that spread to three other units.
According to Stanislaus Consolidated Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Eric DeHart, the fire broke out at 9:24 p.m. near Yosemite Boulevard and F Street.
“There was an individual that might have had a candle burning in a storage unit,” DeHart said. “He did not know 100 percent if that was the case. He thinks he probably knocked the candle over.”
It wasn’t clear whether the man was staying in the storage unit. The man saw the fire start and went to get an extinguisher. But when he returned, the blaze had grown and spread to four total units.
“Unfortunately, the storage lockers have a common attic airspace,” DeHart said. “We had smoke damage in probably almost all of them.”
Firefighters were on scene for about 2½ hours, then returned later to make sure no hot spots were smouldering.
“Several of the lockers were just full of personal items,” DeHart said. “It was very, very difficult to extinguish.” The property owner came to the site to watch over the open lockers and contact their renters.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.