A family was displaced Tuesday morning when a toaster fire spread through the kitchen and into the attic of their northeast Modesto home, fire officials said.
The fire occurred about 7:15 a.m. at the home in the 2300 block of Rose Avenue, just south of Floyd Avenue.
The first firefighters to arrive found the kitchen and attic engulfed in flames, fire officials said.
The family — six adults and a child — got out of the house safely, but three of the adults suffered from smoke inhalation while attempting to extinguish the flames and recover items from the home before firefighters arrived.
Never miss a local story.
Modesto Fire Battalion Chief Hugo Patino said the injured family members were treated at the scene.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 10 minutes. They had to pull the ceiling out of the family room and kitchen to get to the fire, Patino said.
Patino said he didn't know exactly how the fire started, but he said the cause was accidental.
He estimated the fire caused about $25,000 in damage to the single-story house.
Red Cross officials helped the family find a place to stay.