03/06/2009 1:00 AM
03/06/2009 1:02 AM
- E-mail applications
- Repeat information that's in your résumé
- Let your references know that they may be contacted
- Compromise information to keep to the one-page rule
- Speak clearly
- Use long pauses, or "ummm" and "like"
- Use a thank-you note as an opportunity to expand on interview questions that you didn't respond to completely.
- Call more than once after the interview to follow up
- Cold-call employers to ask about possible openings.
- Check out books on résumés, cover letters, career tests, DVDs about how to dress professionally.
Sources: Alliance WorkNet, Stanislaus County librarian, MJC's career development center
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.