Denair man wounded in home invasion robbery dies, police say
02/28/2008 3:11 AM
02/28/2008 9:59 AM
TURLOCK — The Denair man shot during a home invasion robbery Friday has died, police said Wednesday.
Frederick Osborne, 35, was taken off life support about 5 p.m. Monday at Memorial Medical Center, said Turlock police Sgt. Jeff Lopes.
According to police, Osborne was shot in the head with a handgun after he and James Watkins, 36, of Turlock kicked open the door of a converted shed behind the home at 330 S. Broadway Ave.
When the two men broke in, a fight broke out. Watkins was shot twice in the chest and died at the scene, Lopes said.
Felix Gonzalez, 21, was in the room, according to police. Police believe Watkins and Osborne were looking for narcotics.
Gonzalez's sister told The Bee on Saturday that the two assailants beat her brother with guns. During the fight, police believe a fourth person walked in and shot Osborne and Watkins.
"(Gonzalez) says just an arm came around the corner and shot them and he doesn't know who the arm belongs to," Lopes said.
Osborne and Watkins were armed with an illegal sawed-off shotgun and an AirSoft-style replica handgun, which were found at the scene after the shooting, Lopes said. Watkins was wearing a hockey mask and both men were wearing gloves.
A search of the converted shed and the three-bedroom house that shares the same downtown lot turned up small amounts of drugs "for personal use" but no large amounts of cash or weapons associated with drug dealing, Lopes said.
But there has been "suspected and confirmed narcotics dealing" at the house, he said.
Residents in the main home include five adults and six children who range in age from infant to 10 years.
None of the residents is suspected in the two killings.
"I don't think (Osborne and Watkins) walked there," Lopes said. "I think there was a getaway driver or drivers, so we're trying to chase them down."
Watkins had been due in court Tuesday as a suspect in the 2005 fire at the Carnegie Arts Center that police say he started with Frank Leal Medeiros, 22, of Turlock, to cover their burglary tracks. Last summer, a judge sentenced Medeiros to seven years in prison after he pleaded no contest to arson and second-degree burglary.
Bee staff writer Michael R. Shea can be reached at email@example.com or 578-2391.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.