A long journey officially comes to a close Sunday as Wellspring Anglican Church holds its first service at its permanent home in northwest Modesto.
It’s a journey that began in 2009 when the majority of parishioners at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church decided to walk away rather than become embroiled in an expensive legal fight with the Episcopal Church USA over ownership of the large, multimillion-dollar facility at Oakdale Road and Briggsmore Avenue.
There will be a special dedication service for the new church Feb. 22, open to the public, at 10:15 a.m. The dedication will be conducted by the Rt. Rev. Ken Ross, bishop of the West Network of PEARUSA, a North American mission district of the Province de L’Eglise Anglicane au Rwanda. Wellspring is affiliated with PEARUSA, a diocese within the Anglican Church in North America, according to a press release.
Wellspring was among a number of Valley congregations that split from the Episcopal Church over biblical interpretation, but it was the only parish to give up its property willingly, avoiding long and costly legal battles.
Wellspring has been meeting since in leased space at Ninth and H streets. Construction began last June on the permanent church.
“It’s like entering the promised land,” the Rev. Michael McClenaghan said in an August 2014 story about the building of the new church site. “This is a really good congregation. They’ve stuck with it, and we’re getting there.”
Wellspring’s new site at 1548 Cummins Drive is part of the West Campus Business Park. It covers 2.4 acres, with a 14,600-square-foot building and 140 parking spaces behind Home Depot. The property formerly belonged to Silliker Laboratories and was used for food testing.
The church paid $955,000 for the property in 2013 and spent about $1.75 million to remodel it into a 4,700-square-foot sanctuary seating about 250 people, along with classrooms, a youth room and a fellowship area.
Reach Bee staff writer Pat Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.