Merced toddler dies after drinking automotive cleaner

02/04/2013 5:44 PM

02/04/2013 10:44 PM

A 2-year-old boy is dead after consuming a caustic cleaner used on the aluminum wheels of vehicles Friday, the Merced County Sheriff's Department reported. Authorities are calling the death an accident.

About 3:30 p.m., Jack Shearer was playing at a family friend's automotive services shop in the 1000 block of Childs Avenue in Merced.

Deputy Tom MacKenzie, a Sheriff's Department spokesman, said the boy became thirsty, so his grandmother gave him a bottle found on the floorboard of her husband's truck that she believed contained water.

For more on the story, go to the Merced Sun-Star.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service