Wheaties may be the “Breakfast of Champions,” but the American Red Cross Gold Country Region held its breakfast of heroes Wednesday morning in downtown Modesto.
Fifteen individuals in 10 categories were feted at the DoubleTree Hotel. Each was featured in a short video account of the deeds that earned that person the honor, then awarded a medal by local elected officials.
Each year, the regional American Red Cross holds recognizes members of the Stanislaus and Tuolumne county communities who have gone beyond what is expected, sometimes at great personal risk, to help those in need or save a life.
This year’s honorees are:
Never miss a local story.
▪ Animal Rescue Hero: Niki Schiveley
▪ Good Samaritan (Adult) Heroes: Cody Lamonte and Joel Deering
▪ Good Samaritan (Adult) Hero: Jim Moore
▪ Good Samaritan (Senior) Hero: Lonny Davis
▪ Law Enforcement Heroes: Todd Musto and Caelli Koehler
▪ Medical Professional Hero: Dr. Larry Abel
▪ Military Veteran Hero: Mike Stavrakakis
▪ Professional Rescuer Heroes: Jesse Miguel And Jason Wyatt
▪ Workplace Heroes: Don Tetrick and Marla Woody
▪ Spirit of the Red Cross: Sandy Sanville
▪ Hero of the Year: Jon Gianelli
For bios of the heroes, go to www.modbee.com/news/local/article21192840.html.
And to nominate or sponsor a hero for next year’s Red Cross Heroes event, go to www.redcross.org/modestoheroes.