Show that busy schedule who's boss with four deliciously simple family dinners that require little to no prep work. So go play in the snow, get out a board game, or craft with the kids ... because with these recipes, you actually have the time!
ONE-POT SPAGHETTI WITH SAUSAGE
Makes 6 servings
Never miss a local story.
8 ounces ground Italian sausage
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (14 ounces) beef or chicken broth
2 cups water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
8 ounces dried spaghetti, broken
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook sausage and mushrooms until meat is brown. Drain.
2. Stir in broth, water, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Add spaghetti a little at a time, stirring constantly. Return to boiling; reduce heat.
Boil gently, uncovered, for 14 to 17 minutes, stirring regularly, or until spaghetti is tender. Season with salt, pepper, and Parmesan.
Per serving 293 calories; 14g protein; 11g fat (4g sat. fat); 36g carbs; 3g fiber; 6g sugar; 849mg sodium
You can also make this pasta with ground beef instead.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
1 bag (10 ounces) frozen Alexia Chipotle Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup store-bought pico de gallo salsa
Sliced avocado, optional
1. Heat oven to 425 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the sweet-potato fries on the baking sheet and bake for 24 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. Top with beans, corn, cheese, and pico de gallo. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve topped with avocado, if desired.
Per serving 503 calories; 21g protein; 23g fat (0g sat. fat); 55g carbs; 7g fiber; 11g sugar; 1,036mg sodium
FAMILY SNACK PLATE
Makes 4 to 6 servings ingredients
Variety of cheeses
Salami or pepperoni
Cucumbers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, fresh snap peas, or other vegetables
Grapes, berries, sliced oranges, dried apricots, apples, or golden raisins
Whole-grain crackers (like Bitsy's Brainfood Smart Crackers
Maple Carrot Crisp)
Variety of nuts
Seriously strapped for time? Leftover party apps totally count for dinner. Assemble a mix of the ingredients on a large plate and serve!
VEGGIE-AND-SHRIMP NOODLE BOWL
Makes 6 to 8 servings
8 ounces dried soba noodles
4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water
1/4 cup white miso paste
1 bag (10 ounces) shredded carrots
1 bag (8 ounces) fresh sugar snap peas
12 ounces peeled and fully cooked fresh or frozen shrimp, thawed
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
Radish, peanuts, lime slices, and/or cilantro for garnish
1. Prepare noodles per package directions. Divide into serving bowls.
2. In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Whisk in miso paste. Add carrots and peas. Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the shrimp. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the soy sauce. Serve over noodles with garnishes.
Per serving 243 calories; 19g protein; 1g fat (0g sat. fat); 42g carbs; 4g fiber; 7g sugar; 1,070mg sodium