Central Valley Opportunity Center has awarded $27,000 in scholarships to students in its tri-county service area of Stanislaus, Merced and Madera counties. A total of 18 scholarships of $1,500 each were awarded at CVOC’s annual Spirit of Independence Scholarship Fundraiser & Awards Banquet on May 5 in Modesto.
Scholarship winners are:
• Holly Tran, Davis High School
• Carina Partida, Central Valley High School
• Maria Luisa Rosas, Pitman High School
• Jonathan Miguel Tavares, Patterson High School
• Paige Womack-Shipman, Denair High School
• Rafael Romero Hurenda, Ceres High School
• Marilyn Perez-Mendoza, Golden Valley High School
• Sara Cruz, Delhi High School
• Jessica Perez, Atwater High School
• Mary Kemphaus, Golden Valley High School
• Eduardo Vera-Garcia, Atwater High School
• Jimmy Millan, Livingston High School
• Alejandra Granados, Chowchilla Union High School
• Kyle Dwayne Hansen, Chowchilla Union High School
• Crystal Maciel, Madera High School
• Guadalupe Navarro, Madera High School
• Stephanie Marie Pardue, Yosemite High School
• Gloria Zarate, Liberty High School
Central Valley Opportunity Center, a nonprofit employment, training and social service agency, has been offering vocational training, energy assistance, food, emergency shelter, home weatherization, disaster assistance and other services for more than 35 years. It offers vocational training in welding, cooking, computers/customer service, truck driving/forklift, and solar panel installation. Visit www.cvoc.org.
10 receive scholarships
Ten students from Central Valley and Ceres high schools have won business and agriculture scholarships from the Ceres Chamber of Commerce.
Central Valley students Marian Diaz, Hallie Magarite Donart, Ernest Cuevas and Esteban Villafan will each receive a $500 agriculture scholarship.
Josefina Rubino, Emily Rivas and Amanda Jauregui, all of Central Valley High, and Eva Avila, Carlos Moreno and Gema Peralta, all of Ceres High, will each receive a $250 business scholarship.
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of grades, contributions to ag- and business-related activities, and education and career aspirations.