The sisterhood of Omega Nu brings back its Halloween Home Tour to Modesto this Saturday, Oct. 10, to help raise funds for the many charities the regional Phi Gamma Chapter helps.
The home tour, which began in 2012, has become a popular seasonal fundraiser for the nonprofit organization, a group that’s been part of the local landscape for decades. It features three homes bedecked and bedazzled in spooky splendor for ticket holders to drop in and see.
To get ready for the tour, members of the Phi Gamma Chapter of Modesto offer their Top Ten Things to know about Omega Nu:
1. The Phi Gamma Chapter of Omega Nu is a philanthropic organization that currently has close to 50 female members who are actively involved and volunteer countless hours to help raise money and contribute an average of $65,000 per year in charitable donations to more than 50 nonprofit organizations including scholarships. A full list of the charities supported last year is available at omeganumodesto.org.
Never miss a local story.
Nearly 50 charities received financial help last year from the nonprofit Omega Nu, which has been raising funds for Stanislaus County organizations for more than 90 years.
2. There are 12 Omega Nu chapters in Northern California, each of which serves its own community through charity and service. Each chapter works together in a spirit of sisterhood.
3. Modesto’s Phi Gamma Chapter was established in 1924. Members, then and now, are women who have a desire to aid their community and have included powerhouses such as Bette Belle Smith and former Mayor Peggy Mensinger. For the past 91 years, Modesto’s chapter has supported local community nonprofits focusing on women, children and families. All proceeds are donated in Stanislaus County.
4. We raise funds with the help of people in our community who support us with donations and by attending our fundraising events. We also do “hands-on projects” like gathering over 2,500 coats from school lost-and-found departments, washing, sorting and distributing them back to children who are in need of a warm winter coat. We have also made blankets and paired them with books to give to children who are temporarily homeless. And for several years, we have lent helping hands to The Salvation Army’s One Night Out Dinner events.
5. Our Halloween Home Tour is Saturday, Oct. 10, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will feature three homes whimsically decorated in “spooktacularly bootiful” fashion for fall and Halloween. There will be a boutique at one of the homes to purchase Halloween and fall items, baked goods, treats, candles and more.
Homeowners on the Halloween Home Tour provide their own decorations, time and energy for the event.
6. Our 28th annual Christmas Home Tour and Luncheon will be held Saturday, Dec. 5, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., featuring four beautifully decorated homes for the holiday season. Our luncheon will include our famous chicken phyllo and we will be selling greenery and baked goods, including Omega Nu shortbread.
7. An upscale, evening fashion show including cocktails and appetizers is in the planning process, scheduled to be held in late January and featuring designer fashions.
8. Saturday, May 7, will be an entertaining evening for all when Tim Flannery and the Lunatic Fringe Band will perform bluegrass music for our guests to enjoy with drinks and appetizers. The former San Francisco Giants third-base coach and current broadcaster is a talented singer-songwriter who regularly packs venues across the globe delivering energetic, emotional live shows.
9. If you would like information on an upcoming event or a charity grant application, visit our website or email us at email@example.com. For ticket information, contact Jan Hill at 209-606-9033.
10. You can make a donation to support Omega Nu charities by writing a check to “Omega Nu Modesto” as an alternative to participating in the fundraising activities. Gifts may be made in the name of the donor, family member, friend or organization. Contributions qualify for maximum deductions for income, gift and estate tax purposes. Omega Nu Nonprofit Tax I.D. #94-610-4877 under IRC 501(c) (3).
Send donations to Omega Nu to: Phi Gamma Chapter of Omega Nu, P.O. Box 577097 Modesto, CA 95357
Pat Clark: 209-578-2312
Halloween Home Tour
When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 10
Where: Three local homes; locations included on tickets
Tickets: $35; available at Portico and Mulberry Lane in McHenry Village, Beverly’s Fabrics and Crafts, 2013 Evergreen Ave., Modesto, The Greenery, 742 E. Olive Ave., Turlock and At Home, 4120 Dale Road, Modesto