Nutrition quiz: A naturally colorful diet is a healthy one
03/22/2014 12:00 AM
03/21/2014 1:18 PM
Ever hear that you should be eating the colors of the rainbow? Take the advice: Try to choose and eat a variety of colors every day. Test your knowledge on the benefits of eating a varied, plant-based diet.
1. What is the name of the compounds that give plant foods their color and aroma and also benefit our health?
2. The first five letters of this term above means “plant” in Greek. What is it?
3. We should aim to eat at least how many servings of fruit and vegetables per day?
4. Besides sweet potatoes, name three foods rich in beta carotene.
5. Red fruit and vegetables are a rich source of this compound linked to reduced risk of prostate cancer.
6. In which fruit might you find resveratrol, which may decrease estrogen production, lending a protective effect for breast cancer?
7. Fiber foods also contain phytochemicals called lignans. Can you name two of these brown foods?
8. Can you name a nutrient that is found in abundance in dark greens that helps make healthy cells and protects DNA/genetic material?
4: Carrots, mangoes, pumpkin
6: Dark red/purple grapes and plums
7: Whole grains and beans