Well, I’ve gone and done it again.
Signed up to be a member of Team In Training. Committed to raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS).
And signed up to run the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon on June 1.
Yes, I am a glutton for punishment. After both of my previous two marathons, I promised myself that I would never be crazy enough to do another one. But the pain of running 26.2 miles – and all of the effort it takes to train for it – quickly subsides and I begin thinking that maybe it wasn’t that bad after all.
Never miss a local story.
So why do it?
Well, the reasons are many and very personal. Here’s a quick rundown.
1. My experience training with Team In Training and running the San Luis Obispo Marathon last April was one of the best things I’ve ever done. I had so many positive experiences, met so many great people and had so much fun ... well, I just had to do it again.
2. I love to run. I love the way it makes me feel. I enjoy feeling fit and healthy. And training for a marathon gives me the focus I need to keep it going.
3. Even though I’ve run many races, recorded many good times and completed two marathons – both under four hours — I still feel like I have something to prove. I have to prove to myself that I can do it again. Do it better. Do it faster. And enjoy it more.
4. Cancer sucks. And raising money to fight it makes me feel good. There was a time before I joined Team In Training that I thought trying to fight cancer was futile. But I’ve learned a lot about the success of doctors and researchers in their fight against cancer that I truly believe that we will someday win the fight. LLS is a great organization and I’m proud to raise money for it.
5. Why not? I mean you have to do something, right? Training for the marathon gives me a focus that I don’t have when I’m just exercising to stay fit. It gives me motivation to get stronger, eat better and build my endurance. Running also improves my emotional health, reducing stress and building confidence.
So, there you go. I’m currently in training for another marathon. Seems to figure that just a few days after my first workout with Team In Training that I tweaked a back muscle and had to rest for a few days.
But I have plenty of time to train for June 1. There are many miles to run. And many thoughts to share as I train for marathon No. 3.