During the 1950s Albert Schweitzer was awarded the Nobel Peace prize, the black-and-white science-fiction hit "The Day the Earth Stood Still" frightened moviegoers, and Willie Mays, the "Say Hey Kid," entered professional baseball. What Modesto highlights do you recall from the 1950s?
1. Tom Mellis founded the Sportsmen of Stanislaus Club in the living room of his home in what year?
2. In what year was the Stanislaus County Jail built downtown?
Never miss a local story.
3. In 1956, the first copy machine supplier in the Modesto and Stockton area was opened on I street in Modesto. What was the name of the business?
b. MoCal Office Solutions
c. The Copy Store
d. George W. Lucas Co.
4. Which two Modesto City Schools opened in 1951?
a. Mark Twain Junior High and Roosevelt Junior High
b. Fremont Elementary and Shackelford Elementary
c. La Loma Junior High and Roosevelt Junior High
d. Downey High School and Davis High School
5. Fred A. Earle Jr., former coach and athletic director at Modesto Junior College, founded the Modesto Fitness and Racquet Club in what year?
Answers: 1. c; 2. b; 3. d; 4. a; 5. c