Merced shooting victim dies in hospital
09/02/2014 10:49 AM
09/02/2014 6:35 PM
A 25-year-old man died Monday, a day after he was shot during a gang-related argument at a Merced house party, the Merced Police Department confirmed.
Matthew Galvan was shot about 2:30 a.m. Sunday at a residence in the 600 block of Cornell Court in north Merced. He was pronounced dead Monday at a regional hospital, Lt. Matt Williams told the Merced Sun-Star.
Two juveniles were arrested Sunday in connection with the shooting. They are being held on suspected probation violations. As of Monday morning, neither minor had been formally charged in connection with the shooting, Williams said.
The ages of the juvenile suspects were not immediately available.
Police said Galvan “exchanged words” with someone at the party, and the confrontation may have sparked the violence. Williams declined to comment on the number of shooters and the number of shots fired.
Police said no weapons have been recovered in connection with the incident.
According to records obtained exclusively by the Sun-Star, Monday’s death marks the 20th homicide case of 2014 in Merced County and the ninth in the city of Merced. In 2013, law enforcement reported 29 homicide cases in Merced County, which officials called a record high, and four in the city.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.