Two arrested for Delhi toddler’s death

08/18/2014 3:01 PM

08/18/2014 3:12 PM

A Delhi mother and her boyfriend were arrested over the weekend in Turlock, accused of suffocating a 2-year-old girl earlier this year.

Kalena M. Olson, 22; and Sergio A. Zamora, 24; both of Delhi, were arrested Saturday by the Turlock Police Department in connection with the death of Olson’s daughter, Hennessy Fagin, who was found dead April 21 at a home in the 9600 block of Hillside Drive in Delhi, the Merced County Sheriff’s Department told the Sun-Star on Monday.

Both suspects were booked into the Stanislaus County Jail on $100 million bail each on suspicion of murder and child abuse, Deputy Delray Shelton said.

Deputies have also accused Olson and Zamora of abusing Olson’s other daughter, a 3-year-old girl. The 3-year-old was placed in the custody of Child Protective Services in April.

“Both children had similar injuries,” the Sheriff’s Department said in a news release.

Shelton declined to say exactly how investigators believe the toddler was killed. The Sheriff’s Department said in a statement that Merced County pathologist, Dr. Mark Super, linked the death to a “probably asphyxia event.”

“Dr. Super states her sudden death paints a picture of a battered child, whose brain was deprived (of) oxygen,” Shelton said in the statement.

Olson was initially arrested in April on suspicion of child abuse, but was released from jail without formal charges as detectives continued to investigate the child’s death, Shelton said.

Shelton told the Sun-Star that medical reports and testing in connection with the case took several months to complete, which caused the four-month lapse between the child’s death and the arrests on Saturday.

Turlock police, acting on information regarding the whereabouts of Olson and Zamora, surrounded a home around 3:51 p.m. p.m. Saturday in the 900 block of South Avenue in Turlock.

Lt. Ron Reid said police called for the suspects to come outside. Reid said Zamora fled the home around 4:13 p.m. and tried to escape, but surrendered after a brief chase.

About ten minutes later, Reid said, Olson came out of the house with her hands up and surrendered without further incident.

Both suspects remained in custody Monday at the Stanislaus County Jail. Deputies expect both suspects will be transferred this week to the Merced County Jail to face criminal charges in Merced Superior Court.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service