Occupants escape downtown Modesto house fire

06/27/2013 10:21 AM

06/27/2013 5:24 PM

Occupants of a Modesto home on Sixth Street escaped injury after a fire believed to be purposely set damaged the front room of the house on Thursday morning.

At about 9:05 a.m., firefighters were called to the home at 914 Sixth St. on a report of a working structure fire, according to Battalion Chief Alan Ernst of the Modesto Regional Fire Authority.

When firefighters arrived, they found fire and smoke in a bedroom that had been converted from a front porch.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 10 minutes, Ernst said.

A woman who said she lives at the residence said another woman who arrived there set a curtain at the front of the home on fire. “Right now, (the fire) is under investigation, but labeled intentional at this point,” Ernst said.

Fire investigator Ed Sears could not be reached for comment late Thursday afternoon regarding further details about the incident. The American Red Cross is assisting three adult occupants with housing. There were no injuries reported, Ernst said.

Damage to the home was estimated at $60,000. Crews remained on scene for about two hours.

Five engines and a truck were called to the scene — one more than usual — because there was training nearby.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service