Social Security Q&A

09/26/2007 8:36 AM

09/26/2007 8:43 AM

Q: My buddies and I have been wondering: where can we go for information about benefits for wounded soldiers?

A: Social Security has just launched a new Web site with information on wounded warriors. You should know that people serving in the armed forces who become disabled while on active duty are given expedited service. And you may be able to receive Social Security benefits even while you continue to receive your military pay. Take a look at our new Wounded Warriors page at, where you'll find information about expedited benefits, a link to our online fact sheet, and even a link to apply for benefits online.

Q: My mom, who has limited income, gets Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because of her heart condition. Now she's beginning to develop Alzheimer's disease. It's dangerous for her to live alone, so I'm looking for a comfortable nursing home. Will this affect her SSI benefits?

A: It depends on the type of facility. If an SSI beneficiary enters or leaves a public residential institution, skilled nursing facility, nursing home or any other kind of institution, Social Security needs to be notified. A person usually cannot get SSI while in a public institution. For more information, visit Social Security's Web site at or call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service