Turlock — For the second time in less than a week, Turlock firefighters responded to a house fire caused by a lamp that came into contact with fabric.
According to the Turlock Fire Department, firefighters were called to a home in the 500 block of South Minaret Avenue at 8:06 p.m. Monday. Residents in the home reported they started smelling smoke and then saw it inside the house. As the smoke detector began to sound, they looked for the source, and when they couldn’t find it, they called 911 and left the house.
Firefighters found a small fire in a back bedroom; crews quickly put it out with a water canister and removed the burned objects from the room.
Authorities determined the fire was caused by a table lamp with an incandescent light bulb. Someone had placed a towel on top of the lamp while changing clothes, then left the room, forgetting about the towel.
The towel melted onto the hot light bulb and eventually started a fire. Damage was estimated at $100.
The occupants were able to remain in the home with very little clean up after the event, the fire department said.
On Friday, firefighters put out another blaze caused when a lamp fell onto a pile of blankets. Damage in that blaze also was kept to a minimum.