Lamp left on starts fire in Turlock

July 14, 2014 

A lamp left on fell onto a pile of blankets and caught fire in a Turlock home, the Turlock Fire Department said. According to a news release, firefighters were called to a home in the 1900 block of Trail Way at 6:26 p.m. Thursday. Nobody was home when the fire broke out; when the homeowner returned, she smelled smoke as she entered the garage. She called 911 after going upstairs and finding heavy smoke.

Firefighters arrived to find a large pile of blankets on fire in the corner of a bedroom. They managed to get the pile outside, then remained to investigate the fire and ventilate the home. Damages were estimated at $1,200 to the structure and contents. The occupants were able to stay in the home and arranged for cleanup.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service