Modesto — An unattended barbecue grill is believed to have caused a weekend fire at a west Modesto home.
According to Modesto Regional Fire Authority Interim Chief Sean Slamon, firefighters were called to a home in the 1500 block of Rouse Avenue at 5:27 p.m. Sunday.
Firefighters arrived within four minutes to find heavy fire conditions from the back of the single-story home. The fire consumed an outubuilding before spreading to the house.
The occupants of the home were able to get out without being hurt.
Crews extinguished the blaze within 30 minutes. One firefighters suffered from heat exhaustion, Slamon said in a news release. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment before returning to work.
Damages were estimated at $20,000.