Ceres firefighters battle blaze, help thirsty pup

Bee Staff ReportsMay 1, 2014 

Ceres firefighters discovered indoor and outdoor marijuana gardens – and a thirsty dog – at a home where a fire started in a bedroom Thursday afternoon.

Flames were coming from the home’s windows in the 3000 block of Central Avenue when firefighters arrived about 12:25 p.m., said Deputy Fire Chief Bryan Nicholes.

When firefighters broke through the front door of the home to search for occupants, a puppy ran outside. Firefighters picked him up and gave him bottled water, Nicholes said.

Stanislaus County sheriff’s Deputy Royjindar Singh said a marijuana garden in the bedroom where the fire started was likely the cause. A small outdoor garden also was found in the backyard but Singh said the man who lived there was not arrested because he had a doctor’s recommendation to grow medical marijuana.

Nicholes said crews kept the fire contained to the bedroom where it started, but there was heat and smoke damage to the rest of the house. He estimated the damage at $20,000.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service