You may still need to be Irish to find the best luck this St. Patrick’s Day, but the fun is open to everyone.
Events abound in the region for the traditional Irish holiday now celebrated around the world. In the Central Valley and foothills, there will be music, festivals and more honoring Celtic heritage and Irish culture. There also will be green beer and lots of oversize Leprechaun hats. Like we were saying, something for everyone.
While St. Patrick’s Day is March 17, events the next couple of weeks will bring Irish flair to revelers from all over. Festivities kick off this weekend with the 28th annual Sonora Celtic Faire and continue next weekend with Modesto’s Lucky Fest, Murphys Irish Day and more.
The 28th annual Sonora Celtic Faire from Friday to Sunday celebrates the cultures of Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall and Wales with live music, jousting, living history presentations, Scottish Highland competition, vendors, artisans and more. Performers will include Celtica, Tempest, 1916, Black Eyed Dempseys, Banshee in the Kitchen and Black Irish Band.
Then, Lucky Fest in downtown Modesto on March 15 is a street party and custom pub crawl. The 21-and-older event along 11th Street between L and K streets features 25 custom-built pub booths, live music, games and other shenanigans under a covered tent.
For a family affair instead, visit Murphys Irish Days along Main Street on March 15. The all-day festivities include a parade, more than 100 vendors, food, music and more in celebration of the town’s Irish roots.
A look at a sampling of events to bring out your brogue.
• Sonora Celtic Faire: Jousting, music, re-enactors and kiddie fun; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds, 220 Southgate Drive, Sonora; $10-$25 for adults depending on day, everything pass $50; 800-446-1333 and www.sonoracelticfaire.com.
• SOS Club’s St. Patrick’s Dinner: Meal includes Irish corned beef, cabbage, red potatoes and carrots; 4 p.m. March 14 at the SOS Club, 819 Sunset Ave., Modesto; $16 members, $18 guests; (209) 578-5801.
• Murphys Irish Day: All-day festivities March 15 include parade, vendors, live entertainment, children’s activities and more. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. along Main Street in Murphys; No admission, free parking and shuttle. Visit www.visitmurphys.com.
• Lucky Fest: Custom-built pub crawl and block party with live music and games. Noon to 2 a.m. March 15 on 11th Street between L and K in downtown Modesto; Tickets $12 general, $20 fast pass in advance; (209) 524-1400 and www.modestoluckyfest.com.
• St. Patrick’s Day at the McHenry Mansion: Traditional Irish corned beef buffet and no-host bar as a benefit for the McHenry Mansion Endowment; 4 to 7 p.m. March 15 at the McHenry Mansion, 906 15th St., Modesto; $25 per person (reservation deadline Monday); (209) 549-0428.
• Gervasoni’s St. Paddy’s: Live music and food at Irish-themed benefit for the Eagles Lodge; 6 to 9 p.m. March 15 at Gervasoni’s, 712 Ninth St., Modesto; No cover; (209) 523-1961.
• P. Wexford’s Pub St. Patrick’s Celebration: Tented parking lot celebration with live music, Irish food, beers. 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. March 17 at P. Wexford’s, 3313 McHenry Ave., Modesto; $10 admission; (209) 576-7939.