The former owner of a Modesto funeral home where deputies removed 17 bodies last year faces misdemeanor criminal charges in the case.
The Stanislaus County District Attorneys Office has filed 17 charges of failing to register a death certificate against Shaun McGuire, owner of McGuire Cremation & Funeral Service. The matter is scheduled to return to Stanislaus Superior Court on Feb. 13, Assistant District Attorney Carol Shipley said Friday.
In May, the county stopped issuing cremation and burial permits to McGuire after several complaints from clients about delays in cremating remains and processing paperwork. Those complaints also led to an investigation by the Sheriffs Department and district attorneys office.
Customers of McGuire, which advertised itself as a lower-cost option for families when it opened in 2009, said they had no problems with the services provided by the funeral home at first. Several who contacted The Modesto Bee last spring praised McGuire for his caring and attention to detail during a difficult time.
But sometime around a year ago, things changed and customers started reporting problems getting death certificates and remains and even reaching McGuire. After deputies removed the remains, other local funeral homes stepped in with offers to help grieving families.
McGuires phone number is not listed; his former business number has been reassigned.
The state Cemetery and Funeral Bureau shows that McGuires license is delinquent, having expired in June. The state website does not list any disciplinary actions against him.