FREE MOVIE SCREENING OF ‘SOUND OF MUSIC’
A free screening of the
classic film “The Sound of Music” will be presented at
7 p.m. Jan. 4 at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, 1813 Oakdale Road, Modesto. Free popcorn and lemonade will be provided. For more information, call (209) 551-4973.
RECYCLING CHRISTMAS TREES IN RIVERBANK
Gilton Solid Waste Management will be doing curbside collection of Christmas trees in Riverbank on Jan. 6-17. Here are the guidelines:
• Trees will be collected on garbage-collection day only.
• Trees must be placed by the front curb on the street surface. This includes customers with alley garbage service.
• Trees must be placed a minimum of 6 feet away from vehicles or refuse cans.
• All metal stands, lights and ornaments must be removed, but wood stands are OK.
• Flocked or painted trees should be cut up and put in the black garbage can.
• Trees can be cut up and put in the green waste container (gray can), making sure the lid closes.
A new statue of Hmong leader and hero Gen. Vang Pao was unveiled Friday at the Fresno Fairgrounds during the annual Hmong International New Year celebration, according to
The Fresno Bee. The statue,
created by Fresno’s Monster City Studios, stands 6 feet tall (in a sitting position) and weighs more than 1,000 pounds, the newspaper
reported. It is made from cast concrete and was created from a photograph taken of the general during the Vietnam War period. The statue replaces a smaller one that was dedicated during the 2011 celebration. Pao, a
lieutenant general in the Royal Lao Army who commanded a CIA-trained force to fight communists in southeast Asia in the 1960s and 1970s and was beloved by many Hmong Americans, died in in Clovis in January of that year. He regularly spoke in front of large crowds at the fairgrounds event.