MODESTO — A small electrical fire burned a bedroom in a home not far from downtown Modesto Saturday afternoon, temporarily displacing two families, fire officials said.
The fire occurred about 2 p.m. in the two-story house in the 100 block of Burney Street near 16th Street. The house had been converted into two separate homes; the fire occurred in the second-floor apartment.
Battalion Chief Hugo Patino, of the Modesto Regional Fire Authority, said the fire appeared to have started near an electrical powerstrip. He said the flames spread slightly into the kitchen through the wall, but one of the residents had extinguished most of the fire with a garden hose by the time firefighters arrived.
The fire caused an estimated $7,500 in damage to the home and its contents. Red Cross officials helped two adults and a child living in the second-floor apartment find a temporary place to stay. There were no injuries reported.