Chimney fire causes $67K in damages to home

December 11, 2013 

A fire sparked Wednesday morning in a Merced home and spread to the attic and roof, city fire officials said.

About 17 Merced city firefighters responded about 10:30 a.m. to 1645 Patricia Lane. Flames were extinguished within 15 minutes, fire Chief Mike McLaughlin said.

A family of three will stay with relatives until the damaged roof can be repaired, fire officials said.

They declined assistance from the American Red Cross.

Two family members were home at the time and managed to escape without injury, firefighters said.

Battalion fire Chief Don Roe estimated damages to the 2,500-square-foot home to be around $67,500, which includes about $15,000 in damaged personal property.

“There was damage to the roof and attic and secondary damage to a bedroom,” Roe said.

Roe said “secondary damage” refers to damages sustained during firefighting efforts, including cutting through the roof to gain access to the blaze.

The incident is not considered suspicious, firefighters said.

Firefighters remained on scene for several hours mopping up smoke and clearing damaged portions of the structure.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service