MODESTO — The big, brown Bank of the West Bear was the top fundraiser in Saturdays Mascot Challenge, Maj. Kyle Trimmer of The Salvation Army Modesto Citadel announced Monday. Ten mascots spent four hours manning Salvation Army red kettles, collecting a total of $1,719.63. The banks bear, stationed outside Kellers in McHenry Village, collected $349.25 of that.
The other mascots, where they were, and what they raised:
• The Modesto Police Departments McGruff the Crime Dog, Walmart in Ceres, $331.78
• The MPDs National Night Out Knight, Hobby Lobby, $227.48
• Pete Michelini as St. Nicolas, Walmart on McHenry Avenue, $218.57
• The Salvation Army Care Bear, Big Lots on Oakdale Road, $129.36
• The Modesto Nuts Al the Almond, Vintage Faire Mall, $118.71
• FunWorks Freddy Foreman, Vintage Faire Mall, $112.53
• The Bees Scoopy, Vintage Faire Mall, $94.97
• The Modesto Nuts Wally the Walnut, Walmart on Plaza Parkway, $72.92
• The Stockton Thunder hockey teams Thunder the viking, Vintage Faire Mall, $64.06
Donations put into the kettles help fund local programs of The Salvation Army.