A lot of people in our communities dont have the money to go shopping. But they have not been forgotten. We appreciate the efforts of hundreds volunteers who have given and will give of their time and treasure to feed the hungry. Its not a small effort:
• At Modesto Center Plaza, the Thanks For Giving feast put on by restaurateur and entrepreneur Dan Costa drew nearly 1,000 people.
• More than 2,000 were fed in Merced as dozens of volunteers served up free, hot meals at the Rescue Mission there.
• The Turlock Gospel Mission fed more than 400 people in its first Thanksgiving feast.
• The Salvation Army had its annual feast, serving several hundred.
• The United Samaritans took food to hundreds of people throughout the region.
• The Ortega and Martinez families of Ceres and Modesto fed roughly 200 people on six turkeys, four hams and more at the Moose Lodge in Modesto on Wednesday.
There are many, many others who worked diligently to make Thanksgiving special and to make Christmas a day of joy for those who are less fortunate. Tis the season; may it continue throughout the year.