MODESTO — A familys first fire of the season spread from the fireplace to the chimney Saturday night, the Modesto Regional Fire Authority reported.
Firefighters were called to the home in the 1800 block of Ustick Road in south Modesto at 10:38 p.m. Firefighters arrived to find flames coming from the roof of the two-story home.
The homes occupants four adults and two children had gotten out of the home safely. Crews went to the roof and inside the house to fight the fire, which was burning in the wood flue box, extending out of the chimney and onto the roof.
A total of five engines from Modesto Regional and Ceres fire departments responded, keeping damages to $10,000 and saving many of the familys personal belongings, according to a news release.
The Red Cross responded to help the displaced occupants.