Hearing set for Modesto mom accused of dissuading witness in shooting of 2 teens

October 4, 2013 

A judge has scheduled a preliminary hearing to start Nov.18 for a mother accused of being an accessory and dissuading a witness in connection with the shooting of two teenagers outside a north Modesto apartment complex last year. Authorities say Nanci Sue Blackwell tried to prevent a witness from giving investigators information regarding a crime, according to a criminal complaint filed April 23 in Stanislaus County Superior Court. She also is accused of harboring, concealing or aiding a felony suspect to avoid capture, as well as possession of methamphetamine. She has pleaded not guilty to the charges. At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, the judge will determine whether there is enough evidence for the case to proceed to trial. Her sons, Robbie Blackwell and Nicholas Spangler, are accused of murder in the deaths of Rolando Luna and Andrew Ensey. The shooting occurred about 9:15p.m. Feb. 10, 2012, in the 2400 block of Vera Cruz Drive near Floyd Avenue. In late March, Melanie Martin said in court that she withheld information on the witness stand because she was threatened by the defendants’ mother. Martin testified that Nanci Blackwell told her not to tell authorities everything or “she’d f--- me up.” The judge has scheduled a trial to start May 6 for Robbie Blackwell and Spangler. The mother and her sons remain in custody at the Stanislaus County Jail.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service