MODESTO A big rig hauling hundreds of cases of yogurt caught fire on North Ninth Street near Coldwell Avenue Saturday morning.
Overheated brakes are being blamed for the blaze in the refrigerated trailer, said Battalion Chief Randy Anderson with Modesto Regional Fire Authority. Fire crews kept the fire from overheating diesel gas tanks or damaging the truck tractor.
He estimated damage to the trailer and its contents at $15,000 to $20,000.
Three engines spent an hour and a half at the scene, and the owners spent the better part of the day unloading the ruined cargo before the trailer could be hauled away, Anderson said.