Two Modesto residents were arrested early Friday morning after an explosion and fire in their small apartment turned out to be a drug-cooking procedure gone awry.
Modesto Police Sgt. Rick Applegate said Dontae Dupree Galindo, 22, and Deanne Dana Brown, 23, both were booked on drug manufacturing and child endangerment charges, adding a probation violation charge for Galindo stemming from a previous conviction.
The police and fire departments responded to a call at the apartment on the 100 block of Santa Barbara Avenue at 11:46 p.m. Thursday. While authorities were on their way, they received another call from the residence claiming it was simply a grease fire and that the police wouldn’t be needed. They came anyway, and found what is called a “hash oil” cookdown in the kitchen, Applegate said. It’s a process in which dried marijuana leaves are placed into a coffee filter and then soaked in liquid butane, which extracts a high concentrate of THC from the marijuana. The concoction caught fire, causing burns on Galindo and damage to the kitchen.
He went to Doctors Medical Center for treatment and was arrested there. Brown remained at the apartment and summoned a relative to take her three young children, ages one, two and four, away before police arrived.
Both were booked into the Stanislaus County Jail, where they remained Friday morning, neither having posted the $250,000 bail amount.