The North Modesto Kiwanis Club has awarded college scholarships to five 2013 Al Barr Scholars.
Al Barr Scholarships, now in their 13thyear, are designed to support students who seek careers in graphic design or fine arts and enroll at a four-year college or university as a graphic design, fine arts, graphic communications or art major.
Barr, who died in 2000, was one of the first graphic designers in Modesto.
He started his business, Al Barr Design, in 1974 after a 12-year career as a graphic artist at The Bee and the Pasadena Star-News.
Al Barr Design won numerous local and national commercial design and advertising awards. He also was an award-winning watercolor painter, and his work appeared in galleries and art shows throughout Northern California.
Barr was a past president and member of the North Modesto Kiwanis Club for almost 30 years.
This year’s scholarship recipients and their college choices are:
• Jonica Buck of Modesto, University of California, Santa Cruz, $500.
• Jay Clouse of San Ramon, San Jose State University, $500.
• Gilberto Ruiz-Ortega of Modesto, Woodbury University (Burbank), $500.
• Jaimie Kim of San Ramon, California Academy of Art University, San Francisco, $250.
• Alexander Sarina of Modesto, Biola University (La Mirada), $250.
For scholarship program information, call Ron Wilkinson at (209) 668-7627.