Construction work sets Turlock home on fire

local@modbee.comAugust 31, 2013 

Two adults and a teenager were displaced from their Turlock home after a construction crew working in the attic accidentally started a fire in the insulation.

The workers were at the home at 430 E. Linwood Ave. brazing refrigeration lines on the outside of the home into the attic, a process that involves using heat to join metal.

As a result, insulation in the attic caught fire, according to a news release from the Turlock Fire Department.

The workers notified the Fire Department, and when crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the attic.

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to control the blaze, which caused extensive damage to the attic and parts of the living space.

Crews remained at the home performing salvage operations for about two hours after the incident. The Red Cross is assisting the residents.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service