DUI near Modesto nets repeat offender 7 years

rahumada@modbee.comAugust 29, 2013 

  • ABOUT THE REPORTER
    Rosalio Ahumada
    Title: Courts reporter
    Coverage areas: Criminal cases, breaking news
    Bio: Rosalio Ahumada has been a reporter at The Bee for more than seven years, previously covering crime and public safety issues. He also has worked at the Merced Sun-Star, covering education.
    Recent stories written by Rosalio
    On Twitter: @ModBeeCourts
    E-mail: rahumada@modbee.com

— A 33-year-old man has been convicted of drunken driving for crashing his car into a pickup at a rural intersection just southwest of Modesto, injuring a woman and her 8-year-old daughter.

Harn Khaleck, of Modesto, pleaded no contest to driving under the influence of alcohol causing injury during an Aug. 20 hearing. Stanislaus County Superior Court Judge Ricardo Córdova sentenced Khaleck to seven years in prison.

As part of his plea deal, prosecutors dropped a second count of driving under the influence of alcohol causing injury.

The crash occurred about 11:30 p.m. on Nov. 5, 2011, at Whitmore Avenue and Carpenter Road. Khaleck was driving a Honda Accord west on Whitmore.

Prosecutors said Khaleck failed to stop for a stop sign at the intersection and turned north onto Carpenter when he lost control of the car and slammed into a gray Chevrolet Silverado. The woman driving the pickup and her daughter suffered moderate injuries.

A test of Khaleck's blood revealed he had a blood-alcohol content of 0.17 percent, slightly more than twice the legal limit.

Deputy District Attorney Jeffrey Darnell prosecuted the drunken driving case against Khaleck. His position to prosecute DUI cases is funded by a grant from the state Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Khaleck had a prior felony conviction for shooting at a home and attempted murder stemming from a 1997 incident, according to the Stanislaus County district attorney's office. He served 13 years in prison for the offense.

The shooting occurred Feb. 12, 1997, in west Modesto. A group of gunmen that night walked up to a duplex in the 100 block of Oak Street and fired into the windows. The shooting, which investigators said was in retaliation for a burglary, wounded a 4-year-old boy and woman who were among 11 people inside the duplex.

Bee staff writer Rosalio Ahumada can be reached at rahumada@modbee.com or (209) 578-2394. Follow him on Twitter @ModBeeCourts.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service