I applauded the Boy Scout for his desire to help the community but at the same time I am saddened that my children and I will no longer be able to visit Beard Park in Waterford ("Scout goes for Eagle with park plan," Aug. 2).
I am extremely allergic to rubber and rubber tires. The chemicals in rubber tires are very toxic and can cause a number of reactions. Any time I get near rubber I develop a severe allergic reaction.
My son was to attend a birthday party on Saturday, the same day this building project was to take place. I am heartbroken that I cannot take my son to the party. Advertisers for rubber mulch talk about the safety aspect of protecting children from falls but not once do they mention the safety concerns for those with allergies. When mulch is heated by the sun, it gives off toxic gases. These gases cause irritation and inflammation of the nasal passages and the respiratory system. Toxic gases that are released can cause depression, headaches, nausea, dizziness, and eye and kidney damage. Long-term exposure can cause cancer.